Wednesday, April 6, 2011

March Ensign Highlights

I completed my ward's Relief Society challenge again this month. I get such a feeling of accomplishment when I finish an issue of the Ensign. It is a spiritual boost that I enjoy gaining. I feel as if each issue has a few articles that deal with something that I have been thinking about or needing help with. When I flip back threw the pages to find some highlights I feel like I have highlighted almost the entire Ensign. It really is hard to find just a few items that I want to share. So bare with me if there is a lot that I am quoting or sharing.

Looking For The Good
by: President Uchtdorf

This was the first article in the magazine. As you can tell they start right off with amazing teachings. Here President Uchtdorf says "Those who look for the good will find a kind and compassionate people-a people who love the Lord and desire to serve Him and bless the lives of their fellowman. But it is also true that those who look for the bad will certainly find things that are not so ideal." This is something that I feel I need help with. Sometimes I am so critical and judgmental of people and don't really give them a chance. I jump to conclusions and it's hard to sway my thinking after that. I don't take the time of getting to know who they really are, I kind of just make assumptions from my first impressions. Next he says "The word of God admonishes the followers of Christ to be pure, peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy." I need to work better on not being such a hypocrite and show more mercy. I judge people on situations that I haven't had to deal with and assume that I would handle a situation differently. We all have the choice of seeing the good or bad in others. I need to remember to give others the benefit of the doubt that I would want from them. I'm not perfect by any means so I need to not expect everyone else to be.

Teaching the Doctrine of the Family
by: Julie B. Beck

There was a ton in this article that I loved. My focus in life seems to be on my family since I have had Cooper. I want our family to do the things we should and be prepared to teach Cooper and our other children the things we should about life and the gospel. We need to get prepared now and start habits that we want our children to have. This article states "Without the family, there is no plan: there is no reason for mortal life." I really take this to heart. I feel like everything I am doing now is for my little family. My goals and actions are really centered on my family and future children. I truly feel that my path in life was to be a mom. Yes, I got my college degree but I didn't do it for myself or for a career goal. I did it so I have something to fall back on and to be able to support my family incase anything every happened to Brad and also to show my kids how important education is. I didn't want to give them an excuse to not go to college. I know that college isn't for everyone but I wanted to be the best example I knew how for my children.

Raising children is not going to be easy. Especially if I want to teach them the gospel and show them how to be the kind of person the Lord wants. As Sister Beck says "Bearing children is a faith based work." I know that I am going to need help teaching my children and there is great comfort knowing that I can turn to the Lord for guidance. A part of this is teaching my children the true doctrine of the family. In order to do this we need to "Live in our homes, in our families, in our marriages so that youth will develop hope for eternal life from watching you." I know this is important for my own children to see but also for the youth in my ward. Serving in the Young Women has given me a new perspective on how the life I live is being seen. Every action or word spoken needs to show my own children as well as my Young Women that I believe in this gospel and eternal families. I know that I can't be perfect all the time and it gets really overwhelming when I think about all the things I could/should be doing better. It really helps to remember what Sister Beck says "Think in terms of precision not perfection." I need to work on one thing at a time and be precise with that habit before I move on to something new. We aren't expected to be perfect but we are to strive to be the best possible.

We hear all the time about how much harder the world has gotten and is still getting. We see all these things happening around us and it is really scary. It scares me for my own children and thinking about how the world is going to look when they are older. "This generation will be called upon to defend the doctrine of the family as never before. If they don't know it, they can't defend it." That is why it is so important for me to show my children how an eternal family can look and should act. I want them to know they are supported and loved. "The time will come when only those who believe deeply and actively in the family will be able to preserve their families in the midst of the gathering evil around us."

There is so much more from this article that I could share. But instead I would encourage you to read them yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment