Sunday, February 12, 2012

Sushi 101


So as I mentioned in our Christmas post my mom gave Brad a sushi cooking class for Christmas. The class was on Friday, January 26th. The only class was in Farmington so we had a little bit of a drive. The class was held at the Harmons cooking school. Let me begin by saying I have never seen a Harmons like this. It wasn't just a grocery store. There was a second floor with tons of seating that over looked the entire store. There was a cafe, sandwich bar, soup bar, Chinese food bar, tons of other foods, salad bar, etc. There was tons of food!!! The cooking school was also upstairs. I wish I would have taken a picture because it was amazing! The class lasted about 2 1/2 hours.

We started out learning some history behind sushi then the chef showed us how to do everything. Then they set us free and let us give it a go. It was so much fun and actually a lot easier than I had expected. Brad of course was pro and made it look easy peasy. A lady even commented on his cutting skills....smile! The only thing I struggled with was cutting the sushi once it was rolled. It was such a fun date night! There is a sushi 102 that will be taking place in a few months that we want to go back for.


The weekend after the class we had some friends over and had a sushi party. We made cream cheese wontons, orange chicken, sushi (with all of the fixings you need to eat sushi), tempura battered sushi and veggies. It was a lot of fun! But earlier that day I had gone out to the Asian market to get some of the supplies that we would need. Let me just say it was an EXPERIENCE! The smell, from kinds of foods, to the atmosphere and just everything was quite the culture shock. It didn't help that Cooper was being Super fussy and screaming and that we had to stand in the check-out line for over 20 minutes. I will send Brad next time/ My dad took Cooper over to my grandma and grandpas house so we were able to focus on cooking. I got my camera out in the beginning but forgot to take pictures later. I didn't even get pictures of everyone who came over. We did have quite the buffet of rolls however!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hahah the smell of the asian market! oh jeez. It is definitely different

    ReplyDelete