Monday, February 20, 2012

time . out . bench

So we have been needing a place for "Time Out" lately. I have wanted to get a time out bench since Cooper was little. I saw one once and knew that I had to make one. A couple of weeks ago I discovered a new unfinished crafts store Poppyseed Projects. When I was there I saw this adorable bench. They have so many cute things there. There are stepping stools that look along the same lines as this bench. I am going to get them and put them in the downstairs bathroom and Cooper's bathroom. ****I just redid Cooper's bathroom and I am redoing the downstairs bathroom and will post that as soon as it is finished**** I love that I am able to paint the bench and stools however I want. It is perfect! I had the bench for a couple of weeks before I actually painted it because I could not decide what color to do. I am putting it on a wall in the kitchen. I wanted it somewhere that it can be seen, used frequently, and not in the way. Cooper loved the bench from the second I brought it home. He uses it for everything..... not just time out. I haven't decided if this is a good thing or a bad thing that he loves it so much.



I decided to go with a mustard yellow. I can't do anymore green in my house....I have a ton. I really was thinking like a turquoise color but it doesn't go with anything downstairs. So I settled on yellow. First I painted the bench yellow. Then I sanded it down to make it look antiqued. Then I stained it over the paint. This made the sanded areas nice and dark, it also gave the yellow a darker color. To finish it off I put a couple coats of a poly acrylic just to seal it and give it a protective layer. I am really happy with how it turned out. It adds some color to my downstairs but isn't too loud.


Cooper still loves his bench. Good thing I got it finished because we have had to use it quite a few times today. Ah the joys of a toddler!

No comments:

Post a Comment