Monday, January 9, 2012

Motivation and a Challenge


So I finally got the motivation I needed to start working out and eating healthier. When I was nursing (until Cooper turned one) I hardly ever worked out and I ate whatever I wanted. I was one of those people that nursing helps you lose all of your body weight. I was VERY lucky! I actually was smaller after having Cooper then I was when I got pregnant. But I got so comfortable eating however and whatever I wanted and not working out that when I stopped nursing I started gaining weight. Let me be honest when I say I eat like a little kid or a teenage boy. I love anything junk food, candy, fast food, etc. Since I stopped nursing I have gained about 8 pounds. I know that probably doesn't seem like a lot to some people. But to me it is a ton. When I gain weight I gain it in my face :( A couple of weeks ago it just hit me! I was looking at pictures from even just August and realized how much thinner by face looked then. My clothes have started fitting tighter and I just hate it. I actually wanted to lose weight and get more fit from the weight I was at when I stopped nursing. I need to be more toned....in my arms and legs especially! I want to get at my ideal weight/fit before I get pregnant again. My face got so chubby when I was pregnant with Cooper and I already feel as if it's chubby now. So I need to get going or who knows what it would look like with the next baby. In high school I was swimming/working out twice a day on upwards of like 4 hours. I was in fantastic shape. Of course I didn't see it then :) But since high school I have not had a regular workout routine at all. I am HORRIBLE when it comes to working out. I get lazy and caught up and just never get into a routine that lasts. I ALWAYS can think of a better excuse then to workout. I don't know why though because every time after I am done working out I feel amazing and so energized. I try to workout when Cooper is napping but it is like do I workout or shower or do chores around the house while I can???

I keep complaining to Brad about me gaining weight and the way I am feeling. So I decided to do something about it. I decided I was going to go without junk food for all of January. Brad being the supportive husband he is decided to do it with me. If I were to see Brad eating something I would want it and give in. I have no self control apparently when it comes to food! I came across this No Junk Food Challenge on a blog and thought it would be perfect. I am not one for dieting. Remember this that I tried doing with Brad back in July. Well Brad did awesome but I lasted a whole 2 days. I was starving and all I craved was stuff that I couldn't have! So I am taking a different approach. Here is what we are doing:

No chocolate
No candy
No biscuits or cookies
No cakes, donuts or muffins
No pastries
No white bread
No chips
No fast food
No nutella, peanut butter or other naughty spreads
No ice cream

The challenge was originally for 21 days but we are going to do it for the month. I really am hoping I can stick to this and complete it. I feel like I never can stick to anything when it comes to working out or eating better. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that not eating these foods for a month is going to make me lose all the weight. It is just the jump start I need to get motivated. I am also working out this month. So hopefully both combined will get me headed in the right direction.

It has been one week since we started the challenge. Things are going great! I have really been fine without all the things above. I haven't really craved anything or thought I was dying if I couldn't have something like I did with the 17 day diet. I have had to turn down things in some situations- chips and a Capri Sun at mutual on Wednesday, candy at a friends house, and I haven't gone to McDonalds in over a week that is good work! I noticed how much of Cooper's snacks I was eating too. I would always much on his fruit snacks, fig neutons, gold fish crackers, marshmallows, etc. Really every time I feed him and don't eat it I realize how many munchy things I was eating thru out the day. Even if it was just one or two things of his it has really made a difference. I only worked out twice last week but I am so going to do better this week! I'm so excited that this is going better than I had expected!

1 comment:

  1. no tarts or sugar cookies from kneaders even if I do split them in half w/Bradley...hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete