Friday, March 18, 2011

St. Patrick's Day Dud

Well I decided that since this year I wasn't in school or working that I was going to be festive and make fun green foods for St. Patrick's Day. Rather than just making a recipe green I looked for some green recipes. The first one I found was for a yummy shamrock sugar cookie. This is the only recipe that turned out for me. It was super easy. Click here for the recipe. I could have taken more time and made it look better but I made them the night before after I got home from Young Womens and I was kind of in a hurry.


The next recipe I attempted was a shamrock milkshake cupcake. I am usually really good at making cupcakes and having them look good. But I must have just been having an off day. The recipe was a process. For some reason I couldn't find my cupcake papers, so had to use some left over ones from the shower I threw but they are crappy ones and don't hold well. So the cupcakes themselves didn't look great. Then the frosting was a whole other story. I made it exactly like it said. But it was not firming up. It called for 1 1/2-2 cups of powdered sugar (keep adding until it gets to a piping consistency). Well it never got to that point. After adding 4 cups of powdered sugar I was in a bad mood and done! After a couple hours of sitting the frosting finally set up but I had already thrown frosting on the cupcakes in frustration. So the cupcakes tasted really good even if they didn't look good. Well at least to me, some friends that came over, and my mom. Brad informed me that they tasted like toothpaste. I guess he doesn't like mint :( Here is the recipe.

This is how they were supposed to look.
Mine weren't even picture worthy.

The final recipe I decided was a creamy broccoli soup. I am not even going to share the recipe to this one because it wasn't good. It tasted too much like potato and the consistency was gross. It was a perfect blended delight for baby food though :)Luckily we grilled steaks, zucchini, asparagus, and sauteed mushrooms. So that part of dinner tasted good.

Hopefully I have better luck with the other holidays that I try to be festive with. Brad isn't big on the whole festive thing (other than Christmas) so it is going to have to be my thing if I want to make holidays fun for my kids. Hopefully I can convince him to get more into things next year.

Hopefully everyone else had a fantastic St. Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment