Tuesday, March 6, 2012

a first


Last night we had a first in our house. Cooper fell asleep in our bed!!!! Crazy that it took almost 20 months for him to fall asleep with us at night. He has always been a very independent baby who wanted to sleep in his own crib. Every time I tried laying him down in my bed after he had fallen asleep he would wake up or if I tried to lay him down to go to sleep he would just cry or think it was time to play. Don't get me wrong I cuddled with him in my bed as a newborn sometimes during naps....back when I was exhausted from all the middle of the night feedings. But he has never slept with us during the middle of the night.

Last night started off normal and he went to bed at 8:00 pm in his own crib. Then at 2:30 am I heard him screaming bloody murder so I went in to check on him. He had leaked so I changed his pajamas and rocked him for a few minutes. The second I stood up to lay him in his crib he started screaming again. I left him crying because sometimes he cries for a few minutes and then falls asleep. Not last night. After like 20 minutes I went back in and tried rocking him again. Same thing. I let him cry a little more then decided maybe he wanted milk. So I got him a cup and tried giving it to him. Didn't want it. So I thought maybe I would try bringing him to bed with me because he was completely content while I was holding him. He laid there for quite awhile and was dozing so I tried putting him to bed in his crib. We are totally against babies sleeping in our bed and forming bad habits so I didn't want him falling asleep there. But I put him in his crib and the same thing happened. Finally I just brought him back to our bed. He had been awake for 2 1/2 hours and I was exhausted!!!! He finally fell asleep and I was able to as well. I woke up not long after on the edge of the bed with him diagonal with his head laying on my chest. It was really sweet but very uncomfortable. I sat there for a few minutes terrified to try and move him but decided I needed to get some good sleep so I did. He stayed asleep thankfully. Another thing you must know about Cooper is that he is a very light sleeper.

Definitely experienced some of this.....
a perfect example of why he sleeps in his own crib

Well at 6:30 Brad got up and showered and got ready and Cooper didn't wake up at all. He must have been exhausted! Then at 7:30 he popped up and scared me to death. Right as he sat up he said "Da". It was so cute. Luckily Brad was still home so he came back upstairs. Cooper was so excited. Cooper also was worried about where Indiana or as he calls him "Inna" was. Once he started crawling around on the bed he saw Indiana at the foot of the bed. He again was so excited. Cooper is happiest when our whole family is all together.

I can't believe Cooper woke up so early with missing out on 2 1/2 hours of sleep in the middle of the night. Surprisingly he is happy as can be this morning. I have a feeling it will be an early nap day!

No comments:

Post a Comment