Friday, March 9, 2012

downstairs bathroom project

So amongst my updates I have been doing around the house my biggest (most time consuming) project was the downstairs bathroom. I really have never done anything in this room. I had a random rug and garbage can just thrown in there. The only personalized thing was a picture of Cooper. It was just a tiny beige/white claustrophobic room. My friend had done a design like what I wanted in her nursery. It seemed easy enough so I decided to tackle it. Brad is so sweet and just goes with it. He does get his input in it however. I had an idea on the color but we went together to get paint swatches and he helped me decide on the color. I purchased all the supplies in advance and then 2 Saturdays ago we decided to dive in and do it.



Brad taped off all the edges and took the hardware off the wall. Since we were replacing the hardware he also puttied the holes. Then it was my turn. I just started taping squares and rectangles randomly all over. I didn't measure or anything. It took a couple of hours but wasn't nearly as bad as I had it expected it to be.

Next Brad did a technique he had heard about. You paint over the tape and seal it with the base coat. This is supposed to prevent leakage. Around the edge he used a brush and that worked. On the wall he used and roller and that didn't work. More on that in a minute.

Next I painted a couple coats of gray.

This project ended up taking most of the day. Cooper was so good why we did this. He sat in his high chair for a bit and watched me paint. He even tried helping out with the tape :)

The fumes were pretty strong so we couldn't leave the door shut....but we didn't want Cooper touching the paint so this is what we resorted to.


I was so happy with the color I couldn't wait to tear off the paint and see my finished product. Well as I was tearing the tape off my worst fear happened. The gray had leaked really bad under the tape. Remember when I said the painting the base coat with the roller didn't work? So after I took all the tape down I had to go back and touch up EVER SINGLE place where it had leaked. It was pretty much every line. It took forever and I was so frustrated. It still doesn't look great if you look really closely. But it was the best I could do with the situation. Other than that fiasco I am really happy with the finished product.


The best feature of the bathroom by far!!!

I still haven't decided if I want to add another color in the bathroom with the accents. I have the wall to the left of the vanity that I want to hang a shelf or something on. But I need to think a little more about what I want to do with it.

4 comments:

  1. I feel like I've been drowning in beige walls! I finally added a shelf to our downstairs bathroom, and that added a lot, but I've been itching for some paint! I love how your wall turned out, so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an awesome idea in the bathroom! Came out great! Stay safe.

    www.nmephotoblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I love the paint job. I wish I was that patient, it seriously looks so awesome!

    Allyssa
    breakfastatthezemkes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete