Sunday, January 23, 2011

Migraine Madness

Well this past month has been a little frustrating with regards to my migraines. I have had a problem with migraines since a few months after we were married. Before that I would get one maybe once a year. But after we got married I was getting a few a week. I went to the doctor and we tried all kinds of things (foods, changing/stopping birth control, medicines, etc.) but never could figure out what was causing them. Luckily they eventually slowed down to where I was getting them every couple months. I only got one while I was pregnant (at least that I can remember) and one since having Cooper. Well on Christmas they decided to reappear and since then I have had 7 in less then a month. I finally gave in and went to the doctor to see if there is anything that I could get to help. Because of me still nursing my options were limited. I guess the side effects with migraine medicine is really unknown because they can't really do studies regarding it. So my doctor said we can't put me on a preventative medicine until I am done nursing. He did however prescribe me with Imitrex for when I get a migraine and some Phenergan for when I get nauseous. My migraines start out with the blurry/spotty vision so I know when I am going to get one so I can immediately take the medicine. Unfortunately I get nauseous almost immediately so it's hard for medicine to work because I don't keep it down long enough for it to get in my system :) He gave me a sample of Imitrex in shot form. He wants me to try it because that way it skips my stomach (which is kind of humorous since I give the shot in my stomach) and gets into my system quicker and then hopefully I won't get nauseous.

It's been a week since my last migraine (keeping my fingers crossed that it continues). Once I stop nursing I will go back and get put on a preventative so hopefully it will cut them down even more. I also made myself an eye appointment because I haven't been in over 2 years and Brad thinks that maybe I need glasses and that is what's causing the migraines. We shall see!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Kacey I feel for you.. If there is anything I can do let me know. Cooper could come over for a couple hours while you sleep it off or lay down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks Kacey! Manda gets headaches all the time. Recently she's being reading this book called Eat To Live. It talks about how certain foods cause headaches. It's been helping her. Just a suggestion...Hope you don't get anymore!

    ReplyDelete