Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Bike and Bike Trailer

So when I decided to do the Triathamom I had one big hold up. I didn't own a bike! So I thought long and hard about if it would be worth doing because I would need to buy a bike and a bike trailer. Because lets be honest....if I was going to be riding my bike I would most likely have to do it with Cooper. So Brad gave me the go and encouraged me so I started looking for a bike and bike trailer. Okay well I started looking for a bike trailer and I put my dad in charge of finding me a bike! My dad is very into biking and has done it my entire life. So he was the perfect person to get the job. He was quite estatic when I called him and told him. I don't think it was two days until he had found me my bike. I got a Fuji 2.0 Absolute. It is a hybrid. So I can use it for not only road biking but as a mountain bike as well. I felt it was the best decision since I will be using it mostly for rides with Cooper and I did want to limit myself on what I could do. I ended up getting it from Performance Bicycle. I met my dad there one day with Cooper and came home with my bike. I was soooo excited! My next big decision was the bike trailer. I researched and shopped around and was having the hardest time deciding. I could go a cheaper route and maybe not get something so great or go really expensive and know I was getting something good and something that could convert into a double stroller. After thinking long and hard and doing all the research I decided on the Burley D'Lite. It was one of the most expensive but it had everything we were looking for! I am 100% satisfied with my decision. I absolutely LOVE my trailer. I love all the features and accessory options, how comfortable it is for Cooper, but one big plus is that I could get it in GREEN. If you know me I am obsessed with the color green! If there is an option for anything I always choose green. But most importantly Cooper loves it!

Biking is not a cheap sport to get into to. You need the bike, bike trailer, back rack for the car, helmets, bike pump (gift from my dad), bike tools, bike tubes, and water bottles just to start. I bought my helmet when I got my bike but I got Cooper's at the law firm Robert J. Debry. They have this amazing thing they do. They feel helmet safety is so important they sell children's helmets for $5 and adult helmets for $10. But I wasn't the only one without a bike. Brad didn't have one either. Luckily my dad has like 8 bikes so was kind enough to let Brad borrow one of his cycle cross bikes and helmet. My dad has been trying to get Brad to ride for years. Little did Brad know how much he would love it. Brad is now the one asking to go on bike rides and he even takes Cooper out by himself when I'm not home. This melts my heart by the way! With Brad so into it we decided we need to invest in a few more essentials. Padded bike shorts and gloves. These are a must if you are going to be riding very often. Sore biker butt isn't pleasant. So the other day we went out and bought shorts and gloves for Brad. Best purchases! My awesome friend Nikki gave me gloves for my birthday. We did a 20 miler this past weekend and riding with the shorts and gloves made it so much more pleasant! Our next investment is clip in pedals and shoes. But we will wait a bit for those. Also we are going to have to look into getting Brad his own bike. He is going to need one with all the riding we are going to be doing! :)

Riding in Tyson's trailer....we rode to the park and he just wanted to play in the trailer.
This is when I knew he needed one of his own!


LOVES the helmets.....even if it is mine!

Future biker....wearing Papa's bike shorts that I had to fix


Little stroll around our neighborhood....no dad I don't normally ride with flip flops!

Our set up in the garage.....Cooper's bike had to be with ours!


Coop's helmet.....can't believe they were only $5


20 miler on the Legacy trail

My triathlon is going to be a breeze after pulling Cooper around. It is noticeably way more difficult pulling a bike trailer! We bought an extra hitch for Brad's bike so we can easily switch the trailer between our bikes during long rides. I can honestly say that family bike rides are one of the funnest things we have ever done as a family!

1 comment:

  1. Now the trick is going out early/late enough that it isn't burning hot outside! I'm game for any amount of discomfort, but Brett does not do well with heat. He's from a colder ancestry than I am.

    ReplyDelete