Thursday, October 6, 2011

How are my teefies???





Today was Cooper's first trip to the dentist. When we were at his 12 month check up his pediatrician reccommended taking him to see a pediatric dentist. The alignment on his bottom teeth is off. She didn't think there was anything that could be done. She just wanted to get them checked out. She recommended me to Dr. Barney Olsen. He has a program where he sees children 3 and under free. So I made my appointment and went to him. I don't know if I will keep going there however. I loved his office but the location isn't great. It is up in Cottonwood Heights. And he wasn't my favorite doctor that I have seen. There is a really cute pediatric dentist office right by my house that my friend works at that I think I am going to try. Cooper is good for another year however so I have awhile to decide. Right now Cooper has 11 teeth. 4 top, 4 bottom, and 3 of his 1-year old molars (the 4th one is about to pop thru). Molars have not been the greatest. He has been waking up in the middle of the night because of them. But we are almost done!

It was a super quick appointment. Dr. Olsen just looked as his teeth. Cooper did not like this one bit. He screamed the whole time. It was only like 30 seconds but still he SCREAMED! He said they look very healthy and there is nothing to worry about. They are just crowded and they won't improve. So just to wait and see what his permanent teeth look like. I am doing everything that I am supposed to with Cooper's teeth. That was a relief! We brush them twice a day, never put him to bed with a cup, he doesn't get juice hardly ever, brush his teeth with a toothpaste that doesn't have flouride, and we have cut back on his binky. I was very surprised they recommend being done with the binky by 3 years old. Doesn't that seem like way too long to have a binky? Cooper only gets it in his bed and I am already thinking about kicking that habit too.

We have been brushing Cooper's teeth in the morning and at night before bed since he got his first tooth. He hasn't always been a fan of getting his teeth brushed but he loves it now. He likes to even do it himself. His toothbrush is one of his favorite things to play with. His teeth can't get too clean right? :)

I may be a nerd but we got this awesome tooth time table that shows depending on the age what teeth they should have and how many are permanent and baby teeth. It is nice because now I know what teeth he should be getting at one age.



I was bummed I forgot to take my camera so didn't get a picture of Cooper at his first dentist appointment. But here he is with his new toothbrush. He LOVES it!

2 comments: