Friday, July 20, 2012

Pickles

Brad and I have never canned anything! Brad grew up with his mom doing it so has seen it done a few times, but really neither of us had a clue what we were doing. We had been talking about canning for probably over a year. So when I was grocery shopping at Walmart I bought all the supplies we needed (not the pickles though). Brad was really excited when I came home with it all. I even bought a pressure cooker/canner. But the jars I bought were too big! So we had to go back and get smaller jars. After having the stuff for about a week we finally decided to just do it! We were terrified the entire time that we were going to screw it up. I just bought this dill pickling mix so we really just had to follow the instructions. It was still scary though. Well after was all said and done we worried for nothing. The pickles turned out delicious!!!! I was so excited! We have been going through them really quick so we are going to have to pickle some more soon! I love that we are figuring things out like this and can actually make our own things for food storage! I also love that Brad enjoys doing this kind of stuff with me.

The supplies

Cut and ready to start
Half way done
This was the scary part...didn't know if we were doing it right. We didn't even end up using the pressure cooker/canner I bought. We are going to get a bigger one that will fit all the jars.
All finished! Had to wait 24 hours but it was well worth the wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment