Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A Baby Sister For Us


Back on July 18th we got some really exciting news. Cooper was going to be a big brother. Ever since we had Cooper our plan was to start trying when Cooper turned two. We assumed that it would take a few months but not so much. So only 3 days after Cooper turned two we got the news. We were so excited. I had been having a few signs that led me to believe I was pregnant but I hadn't really voiced this to Brad. It literally happened so quickly that I was sure it was all in my head. But I couldn't get passed it so I woke up and took a test. Much to my surprise I was presented with a positive test. Of course I had taken the test right as I got up and there was NO WAY I was going to be able to hold it in until Brad got home from work. So I was totally lame and just sent him a picture of the positive test. This makes the second time that I haven't been able to tell Brad in a cute way. Oh well!!! Brad was so excited. It was much different this time then when I told him I was pregnant with Cooper. When I told him about Cooper his first thought was the financial aspect of it. How were we going to do this? Would we be able to do it with me staying home? How is it going to be being a dad? Can I really be responsible for another human being? All the normal things that go through someone's mind. But this time he didn't have to worry about any of that stuff. It was just pure excitement!

The fancy picture that Brad got

I called my doctor right away and they wanted to see me at 8 weeks. Because of my Factor 5 they like to see me earlier than usual. I have to say that was the longest 4 weeks ever!!!!! I wasn't sure how far along I was exactly and I just wanted to know. And of course I'm a crazy person and until I have a confirmation from the doctor and see that little heartbeat on the ultrasound I am very skeptic. I did however get sick on July 28th so that was just another confirmation that things were going well. I was so incredibly sick with this pregnancy. I couldn't do anything all day. I laid on the couch while Cooper entertained himself. He was soooo good. It was like he knew how awful I felt and wanted to make things easier for me. He would watch his tv shows, play games and watch movies on the ipad, play with his toys, go get food out of the pantry or fridge when he was hungry (I know mom of the year!!!!), and would even come cuddle with me when he got tired. I felt bad that he was not getting much attention during the day and kind of was doing his own thing. But I honestly couldn't move. I finally gave in and called my doctor and got a prescription for Zofran. Best day ever when I took that. Literally within 5 minutes I could function and wasn't feeling as sick. It really was a miracle drug! I was sick until 22 weeks. A good 5 weeks longer than I was with Cooper. With Cooper it was usually in the morning and I would throw up and be fine. Not this time. It would come at any time in the day and even after I threw up I still didn't feel good. Seriously if it weren't for Zofran it would have been a miserable 22 weeks.

We went into my doctor on August 15th. They did an ultrasound and I found out I was 8 weeks and 5 days. Which put my due date at March 22, 2013. So actually even a bit farther along than we had thought. Everything looked perfectly healthy and it was definitely a relief. We told Cooper he was going to be a big brother from day one. We started explaining how there was a baby is mommy's tummy. From the day we told him he said he was having a baby sister. At first it was two baby sisters so once we had our doctor's appointment it was nice confirming there was indeed only one baby! I'm telling you Cooper knew all along it was going to be a girl. He was so sure!


Brad's cousin Katelin is an ultrasound tech so we had talked with her about going in at 15 weeks to find out if it was a boy or girl. We had planned to go up to Logan on September 29th but last minute we decided the 27th would work better. So we made plans that day and drove up after Brad got off work. It was the longest day ever waiting for Brad to get off work. I was just too excited and wanted to know. Brad was sure we were having a girl and really wanted it to be a girl. I secretly really wanted a girl but would not voice this in order to prevent disappoint. Because honestly I didn't care as long as the baby was healthy so I felt bad saying I wanted a girl and being disappointed if it was a boy. It just seemed wrong. Well we went out to dinner and then finally made our way to the clinic for the big reveal. Katelin looked around and checked and double checked for probably a good 10 minutes before she said what it was. She wanted to be sure!!! But we finally got the news it was a girl. We were so excited! It almost didn't seem real because of how badly we wanted it and how excited we were because of it. I just didn't want to be replacing my baby boy. I love that Cooper is still going to be my baby boy and then I will also have a baby girl. There is just something special about my relationship with Cooper that I didn't want to replace. I know that probably sounds crazy but really is so important to me. On the drive home from Logan we called all of our family and told them the news. Everyone was really excited. My dad even cried a little :)

Then the fun began! We were able to start getting some clothes and girlie things. It is so much different than boys that is for sure. We didn't go as overboard as we did when we found out what Cooper was however. We learned to go a little slower and take our time and buy only things that we really love. On October 23rd we had my 19 week appointment at my doctors office which again confirmed we were having a girl. Everything was measuring and looking perfectly healthy. Again always a relief to hear. Baby girl was very active. She was all over the place and didn't hold still once during the ultrasound. She is way more active than Cooper ever was. Brad was actually able to feel her move at 17 weeks. Which was way earlier than with Cooper. Still today she is very active. Maybe that means she will be a calm child since Cooper was calm when I was pregnant and now he is a complete spaz. Probably not but one can dream right??

Cooper loves his baby sister already. He loves to touch my stomach and kiss it. He will put his hand on and feel baby sister kick. He will come lift up my shirt and rub my stomach. He talks about baby sister and will point to my stomach and say that is where she is. He knows to be careful around baby sister. He is always saying "Can't kick baby sister" or "No jumping on baby sister". He sometimes has to be reminded when he is really wound up but usually is really good at remembering. He knows daddy is the one he gets to be rough with and mommy gets the cuddles. Perfect arrangement!!!

We couldn't be happier to be welcoming a baby girl into our family. It is the perfect timing and we are ready for her to be here. I can't wait to see Cooper as a big brother and how he interacts with her. He is obsessed and loves babies so I can't wait. I want to know what she will look like and if she will look like Cooper or not. I want to see how different Brad is with a daughter compared to a son. I want to be able to hold and cuddle her. I do however love being pregnant and feeling her move all over. That is something I missed incredibly after having Cooper. We only have a short 11 weeks left. This pregnancy has gone way quicker than Cooper's did. It is exciting but at the same time really sad. Because that means 9 months of Cooper's life is going by really fast and he is just getting older and older. This I do not like!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment